Tuesday, May 5, 2015

New Idea

Today is not a good day on the 21 Day Fix. I am rethinking my whole commitment.

I chose this particular plan because it seemed easy to incorporate into my lifestyle. But I'm having a hard time making this work. For some reason (maybe just misinformation) I initially thought I could eat whatever I wanted as long as it fit into the corresponding container. The list of acceptable foods is much shorter than I thought it would be. I feel hungry and tired. Plus, I am not a huge fan of veggies. (I know, I know, I'm a grownup and I need to eat them without complaining.) This diet allows plenty of veggies and protein, but not enough carbs. I feel low on fuel. I couldn't even complete the workout today. I don't know if I was feeling discouraged/depressed or just plain tired, but I gave up half-way through and plopped on the couch in despair. I used to love exercise! I realize that diets can be hard, but that's just it: I don't want a diet. I want to change my lifestyle. I want something I can continue once I lose weight.

While I don't want to give up on this plan altogether, I do want to make the some modifications. First, I would like to be able to interchange the veggies and fruits. My current plan allows me three green containers of veggies and two purple containers of fruit per day. I would like to allow myself five green containers of either fruits or veggies per day, provided that at least one of the containers is veggies. Second, my current plan allows me four red containers of protein and two yellow containers of carbs a day. I would like to change that to three red containers of protein and three yellow containers of carbs, and I would like to use my own judgment on what kind of carbs and what kind of proteins to add. After all, this is a plan that I want to incorporate into my everyday life. I want to change my habits on portion control, not starve myself. Third, my current plan allows me two teaspoons of oil a day and one orange container of approved dressings. I would like to change it to allow me two teaspoons of either oil or butter, and one orange container of any salad dressing I want. (Don't judge! I need my salad to be yummy, and I don't overdo it, I promise.) I would also like to allow myself one orange container (they are small!) of a treat every day. My last modification is to allow myself to use whatever workout my heart desires instead of following the prescribed workout series. To make it easier, I will make a list of both foods and exercises that will help me reach my healthier target in the 21 days I have left of this program.

I am well aware that I might not lose as much weight on this program as I would otherwise, but I will have a calorie deficit, and I will lose weight. I will make this work. My goal is to lose ten pounds by Memorial Day.

Current daily container allowances:
Green (veggies) = 3
Purple (fruits) = 2
Red (protein) = 4
Yellow (carbs) = 2
Blue (nuts/cheeses) = 1
Orange (dressings/seeds) = 1
Teaspoon (oils) = 2

My modifications:
Green (veggies) or
Purple (fruits) = 5 (minimum 1 container veggies)
Red (protein) = 3
Yellow (carbs) = 3
Blue (nuts/cheeses) = 1
Orange (dressings/seeds/treats) = 2
Teaspoon (oils) = 2

Here is a great website with exercise ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment